When Bella and Edward come together, both having pasts filled with hurt and despair, what can they really expect?

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chapter Five

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight or any of its characters. They all belong to Stephenie Meyer.

Thanks once again to Juliegirl18 for being my wonderful beta and to sariedee and Bella's Executioner for pre-reading for me.

EPOV


I walked downstairs as soon as I heard the doorbell ring. I knew that Alice's new-found friends had no chance at ringing the doorbell once she spotted them pulling into the driveway. So, it had to be the pizza Esme had ordered arriving.

I walked into the kitchen prepared to fill a plate with a few slices and grab some chips and soda before retreating back to my bedroom, but was surprised at what, or should I say who, I found there.

Bella stood by the kitchen counter while Alice opened up the pizza boxes. Bella and I had come to an understanding after our little chat the other day. We could be civil during class and talk to each other only when necessary to do the lab work. She would constantly talk, but never expected me to talk back. She never asked me any questions. It was like she was just voicing her observations out loud, rather than internally. She, along with her brother Jasper and her sister Rose, sat at the lunch table with Alice and I. She never spoke to me when we were around everyone else, only when we were in class. While they all chatted about their day, I sat at the end of the table quickly eating my food so I could leave.

"Ha! I knew you would think it was the pizza and come downstairs," Alice said as she handed Bella a plate. I had already told her this afternoon that I would be spending the entire night alone in my room. I had no desire to 'hang out' with them and watch movies. Esme tried to tell me it might do some good to make some friends, but I quickly shot that idea down.

"Just give me some damn pizza so I can go back to my room," I told her, trying to grab a few slices and put them on a plate. She kept twisting and turning, holding the box tightly in her hands.

"Come on, Edward. I came home for the weekend, so the least you could do is hang downstairs with us and watch a couple of movies," Emmett said as he grabbed the box from Alice. I scowled at both of them and plated a few slices. Bella had since made her way to the living room where Rose and Jasper were.

"Fine. I'm only watching one movie. That's it. Then I'm going back to my room and you can leave me the fuck alone," I said before walking into the living room. Emmett and Alice came in the room behind me, walking around to find their seat. Jasper sat in one of the chairs in the room, so Alice sat down in front of him. Emmett sat down beside Rose, who was sitting on the love seat. Which left Bella, who was sitting on the far end of the sofa. It was either sit on the sofa with her or sit on the floor. Since I wasn't going to sit on the hard ass floor in my own damn house, I chose to sit on the opposite end of the sofa, as far away from her as I could get.

Alice grabbed the remote and started the movie as everyone began to eat. It did at least look like some type of movie I could get into. Already in the first five minutes there seemed to be a lot of explosions.

After I finished my pizza, I leaned forward and placed my plate on the coffee table in front of the sofa. I glanced over at Bella as I leaned back and she was staring intently at me.

Our eyes locked and neither of us looked away. Her dark brown eyes looked like they were looking right through me, right into my soul. I blinked several times and shook my head before turning my attention back to the movie.

I could still feel her staring at me from time to time. My skin would start to tingle, like it does when you're beginning to get chill bumps. But every time I looked her way, she would be looking at the television.

As the credits began to roll on the television, Jasper and Alice broke off into their own conversation, as well as Rose and Emmett. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a trash bag and began to gather the plates and cups from the living room.

I still felt her staring at me and it finally began to get on my nerves. Who the hell did she think she was, coming in here and staring me down like I was going to suddenly reveal everything to her? I looked up quickly at her, but found her focused on Jasper and Alice.

I tied the trash bag up and sat it by the door leading to the kitchen. Since everyone else seemed to be absorbed in someone else, I walked to the DVD player to put the movie back in the box.

I could feel her eyes on me. It felt like they were burning a hole in my damn back. It was like she was staring at me, trying to get me to strip away the layers of my skin, to reveal my soul.

"What the fuck?" I yelled as I spun around to face her. She jumped back quickly, her back resting on the back of the sofa. Every one stared at me, their jaws practically on the floor in shock.

"Fuck this shit," I mumbled as I walked toward the door. I could hear Emmett and Alice calling my name, trying to get me to stop, but I kept walking up the stairs and into my room.

I had no idea who this Bella girl was or why she thought she could be my friend. I didn't need any friends. I'd lived my entire life without her friendship and I could go on without it now.

I walked over to my stereo, turned it up loudly, and began to pace angrily back and forth. I could hear someone, probably Emmett knocking on my door, but he knew better than to walk in here. He had seen me in this kind of mood before and knew that I needed some time alone.

I walked over to the bed and laid down, staring at the ceiling. After a few minutes I closed my eyes and listened to the bass coming from the music. I breathed in and out slowly, trying to calm my nerves.

After a little while, although I had no idea how long, the room suddenly got quiet. Someone had turned the music off.

"What the fuck?" I said, as I sat up quickly.

"Language, please," Carlisle said as he walked away from the stereo to sit on the end of my bed. I should have expected this. I was sure that the minute he walked in the damn door, Alice went running to him saying I scared off her new friend.

"What happened down there?" he asked as he stared at me. I rolled my eyes and shrugged.

"Did you take your meds this morning?"

"Yes. You know I always take my meds. Esme has them lined up very nicely for me every morning. I couldn't get away with not taking them if I tried."

"Well, what happened Edward? You scared that poor girl to death," he said. Sounded to me like Ms. Bella was turning out to be a drama queen.

"I don't know! She was staring at me and it just creeped me out. She's been trying to be my friend since I started school and you know how I feel about that. I don't need anyone's friendship. I can't let anyone get close to me. I can't handle that," I told him.

He sighed loudly and shook his head sadly before rising from the bed. He walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him without another word to me. I know he and Esme hated the fact that I didn't want to make any friends. I didn't even like the idea of getting close to Alice and Emmett at first, but finally relented since it was hard to ignore two people living under the same roof as me.

It was just the way it had to be. I would be alone and have no friends and I was perfectly fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment